Monday, August 21, 2006

Talent ? Fraud?

How would you like to have a Super Power? A Super Power that you did not get from a spider bite but one that you have got for by being in obnoxious and loud and funny and gross ? By taking drugs, turning on your friends, collecting tatoos, doing pretty much everything that you Mom told you not to do? And by doing this, you turn into a Superman that commands 50 000 people with a smile and a stupid joke. Girls offer you treesomes and guys beg you to take them on stage. How do you do it? I bet Robbie has no idea how it happened... Somewhere between another rehab and Europe looking for an Anti-Pop-Hero, Robbie reemerged as the Pop-Idol of our time from the ashes of his boygroup time... Thank you, Serendipity.

Why am I telling you all that? Well, I went and saw him on his current World Tour in Vienna this last weekend. ... I do not remember how the concert was, what the decoration was like, whether Robbie sang badly or well. Because we managed to be so CLOSE to the stage that I dont remember much of anything .... except being completely mesmerized.

We were really close. We saw everything, the Calvin Klein underwear, the sweat, the hairy chest, the hole in some rugged old jeans, the insecurity in the eyes when something flew on stage. But we also saw something I cannot describe that made us screaming and stretch our hands towards him. I wonder whether the effect that Elvis had on people of his time was stronger ...

Yea, I know he does not mean anything he says or does. I know he is shallow and rude. But there is something so fascinating about him and his demeanor (on stage). By some wild chance everything he does speaks to me and pretty much all the other twenty-something-year old in Europe. And yea, we realize that its all a show... Who cares, we want more!!!

HERE ARE SOME PICS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home